Martial arts training is another BIG issue that needs a modicum of coverage on this site.
One of the first things that I've noticed new students of martial arts like to do is purchase martial arts books and magazines (I know I did). We're attracted by the covers with the "masters" punching or throwing their "bad-guy" student or students to submission. The magazine cover extols us to buy this mag and learn the secret or secrets only this person possess--only this master has discovered the secret technique of the mystery punch or death touch, as if no other master in 6oo years ever knew how to punch (or whatever technique it is). But the secret is really no secret; it's just the way he teaches in his own school. The throw is not a secret throw; it's how he throws in his own school. The point I'm trying to make here is that it's easy to get carried away when first starting out on the martial arts journey. Much like the person who's discovered something new, and now wants to have all of it--right away!
Something new students need to keep in mind is that there are really no secrets in martial arts--think about it, martial arts have been around for hundreds of years; the only new developments have been in the area of gymnastics; something no true martial artist would attempt to use in a real self-defense situation. The real secret--and I'm going to give it to you here for free, and thereby saving you possibly hundreds of dollars--is to continually practice the things your teacher imparts to you in the dojo or dojang. Diligent study under a qualified instructor is the only secret you need to know.
There is an area of study I will recommend in my next post--something you may need to buy a book for (but it won't have secrets).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment